I really have nothing to talk about but I figured since I haven't been posting much I'd better do something.
So, I was just reminiscing a bit because we got a letter the other day saying Charlie is due for some shots. Can it really have been a year already? But then I remembered that yes, Charlie came to us last summer, in July. I remember it was a Sunday and I was home from church sick. I got a call from Susan and she said, "Hey, do you still want a cat?" Um, what do you think? Of course I wanted a cat! I spent the rest of the afternoon making up names to give him, this cat I'd never seen but already loved so much.
I remember we (Amy and I) went to see him after she got home. I was still feeling pretty crummy but that scrawny, scraggly kitty put a smile on my face. I already wanted him so much. But I knew the worst was to come: I'd have to convince Dad to let us keep him.
I gave him a bath that first night, and Charlie gave me three long scratches on my left arm. Sometimes I think I can see a faint scar, but really it's just my imagination. That was the only time he ever hurt anyone seriously in the bath. He is so good!
I also let him sleep in my bed that night, even though Mom was against it. How could I leave him in the overheated, stuffy garage? Alone? All night?
I felt like this cat belonged here with us. How else could he have shown up on Susan's front porch? There are lots of other houses on that street. Why us?
Apparently Charlie thought he needed to stay as well. Somehow he won Dad over, and whether it was with looks or with his personality alone, I'll never be able to say. There was never a real assent. Not an "okay, Maddie, we can keep him" or a "He's not leaving". Dad just never said no.
To this day, Charlie is a wonderful feline. He is always game to come curl up next to me on the couch, or chase anything I dangle in front of his face. Sure, sometimes he has catfights in the driveway. Sure, we've gotten a couple of calls saying, "Um, there's this cat here .... can you come get him?" Sure, he's disappeared a couple of times.
But he always comes back. :)
Things to Make: Crochet Kimono Cardigan
9 years ago

4 comments:
We DO love that Charlie cat. Thanks for your sweet reminiscing.
Ooops. Sorry. I forgot to sign you out and sign me in! That was Mom, of course.
He's SO SUPER cute. I can't believe that he's only like, one. He's bigger than Johnny!
I love to read your writing! You have such a great gift... and a great heart, too :) What a special tribute to Charlie.
Post a Comment